SPLAB was founded in Auburn, Washington, December 14, 1993. (For pre-Feb 16, 2020 mission, see this statement.)
The Seattle Poetics LAB (SPLAB) works to reestablish poetry as a method for knowing self & place by engaging poets, writers and artists bioregionally in Cascadia to build community through shared experience of the spoken & written word.
- Poetry as a noetic practice allied with outsider traditions.
- A poetry of witness, deeply rooted to place.
- Organic form in all of its manifestations, open, discerning and aware of/responsible to the interconnectivity of life.
- A visionary poetics that embodies our place on the edge of a continent.
SPLAB envisions 10,000 people each year participating in POPO and using those revenues to maintain operations, including administration, the Cascadia Poetry Festival and other in-person events in Seattle and the Cascadia bioregion and our ongoing interviews.
- Peer support for writers and artists.
- Teaching “first-take-best-take” approach to developing writing skills.
- Providing programs and content for educators to improve literacy.
IRS EIN: 91-1618296